Becoming a Host Family is a unique and rewarding experience. If you are interested in opening your home to nurture a child in need, follow the simple steps outlined below to become a certified Safe Family Host and Respite Family volunteer.
- Submit an Online Application You may find some of our questions quite personal, but it's important that we get to know you as well as possible. We need to make sure that all Safe Families volunteers are well equipped to handle their responsibilities.
- Click Here to access the Safe Families online application.
- From the region drop down, select: Portland-OR.
- The new on-line training for Host Family volunteers includes Safe Families Core Training and Host Family Training, and can be accessed through the "SFFC Community Hub": http://safe-families.org/community-hub/. The Enrollment Keys for the Safe Families Core Training is “coretraining”, The enrollment key for the Host Family Training is “hostfamily”.
- Each person in the household over the age of 18 must submit a background check form.
- No fees are required for Safe Families.
- Click Here to submit an online background check.
- On the second screen, choose: "I have been specifically requested by the Safe Families and Children Programs to apply for enrollment in the Central Background Registry for employment or volunteer work."
- From the requester agency drop down, select: “Safe Families and Children – Kindred Partners”
- In the Enter Your Code box, type: SFC93097
- Fill out the background check form in its entirety.
- After you’ve completed the background check, you’ll receive a letter from the State of Oregon with instructions for fingerprinting.
- Please be sure to include the names of three references when you complete your application. However, you are in charge of getting the reference forms to your references. If you and your spouse are applying together, please make sure that your references mention both of you in their response.
- You can cut and paste this link for them to fill out our reference form online: "http://www.safefamiliespdx.org/reference-form" and send in an email. Once they submit their form it will get automatically sent to us.
- Couples who are applying together may use the same references as long as they include both of your names on the form.
- Allow up to 2 hours for the Home Study/Safety Check.
- Have a copy of your drivers license(s) and most recent auto insurance card available.
Phone: (503) 906-1027