Becoming a Family Coach is a unique and rewarding experience. If you are interested in supporting Host Families, monitoring Child Safety, providing families in crisis with needed resources, and facilitating the relationship between the placing family and the host family, follow the simple steps outlined below to become a certified Safe Families Family Coach volunteer.
- Submit an Online Application You may find some of our questions quite personal, but it's important that we get to know you as well as possible. We need to make sure that all Safe Families volunteers are well equipped to handle their responsibilities.
- Click Here to access the Safe Families for Children coach application.
- From the region drop down, select: Portland-OR.
- The new on-line training for Family Coach volunteers includes Safe Families Core Training and Host Family Training, and Family Coach training can be accessed through the "SFFC Community Hub": http://safe-families.org/community-hub/. The Enrollment Keys for the Safe Families Core Training is “coretraining”, The enrollment key for the Host Family Training is “host family”, The enrollment key for the Family Coach Training is “familycoach”.
- Each person in the household over the age of 18 must submit a background check form.
- No fees are required for Safe Families.
- Click Here to submit an online background check.
- On the second screen, choose: "I have been specifically requested by the Safe Families and Children Programs to apply for enrollment in the Central Background Registry for employment or volunteer work."
- From the requester agency drop down, select: “Safe Families and Children – Kindred Partners”
- In the Enter Your Code box, type: SFC93097
- Fill out the background check form in its entirety.
- After you’ve completed the background check, you’ll receive a letter from the State of Oregon with instructions for fingerprinting.
By applying to be a Safe Families for Chiildren Family Coach for Greater Portland, proof of Auto Insurance will be collected by the Family Coach Supervisor during the interview.
- Please be sure to include the names of three references when you complete your application. However, you are in charge of getting the reference forms to your references. If you and your spouse are applying together, please make sure that your references mention both of you in their response.
- You can cut and paste this link for them to fill out our reference form online: "http://www.safefamiliespdx.org/reference-form" and send in an email. Once they submit their form it will get automatically sent to us.
- Couples who are applying together may use the same references as long as they include both of your names on the form.
Cell: (503) 906-1027