Becoming a Host Family is a unique and rewarding experience. If you are interested in opening your home to nurture a child in need, follow the simple steps outlined below to become a certified Safe Family Host and Respite Family volunteer.
- Submit an Online Application You may find some of our questions quite personal, but it's important that we get to know you as well as possible. We need to make sure that all Safe Families volunteers are well equipped to handle their responsibilities.
- Click Here to access the Safe Families online application.
- From the region drop down, select: Portland-OR.
- One reference must be a pastor in your church.
- Two references must be a close family member or friend.
- Email the following address to your three references: http://safefamiliespdx.org/reference-form
- Describe its purpose and the importance for your application.
- Instruct each to submit their completed reference form in a timely manner.
- Click Here to access the Safe Families online training (coming soon).
- Click Here to watch the Abuse and Neglect Mandatory Reporting Video.
- Each person in the household over the age of 18 must submit a background check form.
- No fees are required for Safe Families.
- Click Here to print the background check form.
- Fill out the background check form in its entirety.
- Mail the background check form to:
Office of Child Care
Attn: Billie Grant
875 Union St NE
Salem, OR. 97311
- Allow up to 2 hours for the Home Study/Safety Check.
- Have a copy of your drivers license(s) and most recent auto insurance card available.
Cell: (503) 462-3087